NOW PLAYING: Loading…
In 1981, I was actually the program director of a Country radio station here in Nashville, Tennessee (a “dream job” for any 23-year-old!). Rock music was going through an identity crisis, and as a result, some of that recent “Urban Cowboy” influence found its way to the top of the Pop charts and onto Rock radio as well. The clubs were also beginning to heat-up with long, rhythmic unknown titles that year. Hello, MTV! It was certainly a year of mixed genres and musical variety…
Also Happening In 1981:
- Minimum wage in the U.S. was $3.35 per hour
- The average annual income was $21,073
- A new car set you back $7,718
- You could build a new house for $78,220
- A loaf of bread was 53 cents
- Gas for your car was only $1.31 per gallon
- First Class postage was just 18 cents!
What was your favorite music of 1981? Rock? Techno? Pop? Country? Share your thoughts, comments and opinions with us!
You can hear the music of 1981 right here right now on TuneIn!
Thanks for listening!